Sunday, December 2, 2012

Maus


   Spiegelman's depiction of different races as animals within the book really asses the the story. By doing so it had a kind of "sugar coating" effect on the story. At first glance your just reading a story with cute animals completely unaware of the fact that your actually readying a story about the holocaust. I really appreciate the fact that animals were used to depict the character it made the story a lot less depressing and easier to stomach for me. Maus is a great example that a graphic novels are more than just fun stories about super hero's made for kids, its real literature. Sometimes adults just like fun pictures to go along with there story's!

   All though Maus essentially is a story of cats and mice its a very real and meaningful story about an historical event. The story is vary well written and at no point did i find myself losing interest in it. The overall simplistic art work is something i really enjoyed. The simpler art style really balanced out the hole book for me, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if the artwork had been more graphic and realistic (might be a little overwhelming for me haha). All in all Maus was a great read and I really enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment